Thursday, September 4, 2008

HATE is not a family value!

I do try to keep the politics out of here. This is supposed to be a fun blog, an escape from reality, or at least a fresh, positive take on reality. There is hardly any escape right now, but sometimes, we need to be hit right in the face to step up and speak.

Hatred is not a family value, nor is it a Godly one.

Love your enemies. Show compassion for everyone. Hatred only breeds more hatred. The cycle of violence goes on. A 'pitbull' ? I love pitbulls too. But not for their violent side!

It is hard to get out of the us vs. them mentality. I keep trying to tell myself, that down deep, most folks really do want a world of peace, a world where no one lives in poverty, a world where every child gets her needs met. I told myself that the "others" just have a different way that they want to go about it. But there are issues where I believe that certain folks (who want to govern our country) actually have intent to harm. Where they have religious beliefs that they want to spread through our government.

We need to build bridges, to be able to have decent discourse. We can't divide this country into "us" and "them". But I fear the division is very strong. I don't know that without major work, we can bridge that divide, no matter whom is elected. I think the way to begin the process is in our hearts and minds, and then with every relationship and interaction we have with those around us. Change always starts small.

Yes, I fear what would happen if the "other" party wins the election (or steals it). Yes, my first thought is "move to Canada!". But instantly I think of this superpower nation, ready to take on the world through might, through war, and I think, I can't abandon ship now, no matter how ugly it is. It is too selfish to run and hide. We must stay the course, stand up and speak what we believe, and take to the streets NON-violently if it comes to that. And work towards the future, no matter how far away it seems, where we can live in peace.

No comments: